Energize Your Home with Lights
Light, whether natural or synthetic, has the ability to energize your home in a way that nothing else can. Follow our basic tips to invigorate your home interior and brighten your day. Do not allow dark spaces to cloud the mood of your home!
1. Let the sun come in
Natural light is an invaluable way of illuminating your home in a way that no other lights can. Consider these ideas to enhance the natural light in your home.
• Replace heavy, dark-colored drapes with sheer window treatments instead. This way not only will you allow more natural light into the room, but will also bring a brighter color into the room.
• Place mirrors so that they reflect color and natural light making the room feel more spacious. Consider using mirrors with bright, decorative frames that will add even more light and color to the room.
2. Brighten with white
Incorporating some white without making it the dominant color is a smart way of adding brightness to a dark room. Here are some ideas of doing it.
• Use white bookcases, shelves and picture frames
• Use white accent lamps with fluorescent bulbs to produce more natural and softer light than incandescent bulbs
• Paint door frames or molding white
• Use white tablecloths in your kitchen or dining room
• Get white or off-white seat cushions for chairs.
3. Illuminate your accents
Your home interior design and decoration can have a profound impact on how light or dark your home feels. The decorating strategies below will help you to lighten up your space:
• Add a few bursts of color with rugs, pillows or artwork. Choose accents with colors that are full of energy like vibrant yellow and bright orange.
• Filling glasses or jars with colored water and placing them on a windowsill will also add light and color to your space. For visual interest you may vary the water levels.
• Use mirrored switch plates to reflect light and add sparkle.
• Place a small lamp on the wall above a favorite piece of artwork to illuminate it and of course add light.
These were only some tips from an experienced LA interior decorator. More tips are coming, just make sure to follow our blog by subscribing to it or visiting it from time to time.